The 2014 fosterIAN nominations

Hurrah, I made it to the end of the year. And despite repeated protestations that I'm cutting down on how much I'm seeing, this year saw me break all records in seeing 383 shows (technically it will be 388 but I'm not counting my Broadway trip in these figures). It's been hard-going at times, and hugely delightful at times, but I'm glad to have done it and thank you all for coming along with me.

As ever, I have used the label 'best', the categories should really be considered 'favourite' as that is what the fosterIANs (fos-tîr'ē-ən) are, the acting performances that stood out for me, the ones that made me sit up, and sometimes stand up. So please find below the 2014 fosterIAN award nominations.


Best Actress in a Play
Gillian Anderson, A Streetcar Named Desire
Linda Bassett, Visitors
Susannah Fielding, The Merchant of Venice (Almeida)
Denise Gough, Adler and Gibb
Halina Reijn + Chris Nietvelt, Maria Stuart (Toneelgroep Amsterdam)
Imelda Staunton, Good People

Best Actress in a Musical
Gemma Arterton, Made In Dagenham
Charlotte Baptie, Free As Air
Natalie Mendoza, Here Lies Love
Christina Modestou, In The Heights
Imelda Staunton, Gypsy
Sophie Thompson, Guys and Dolls

Best Actor in a Play
Jonathan Broadbent, My Night With Reg
Chris Connel, Wet House
Cary Crankson, The Saints
Jack Holden, Johnny Get Your Gun
Harry Melling, peddling
Mark Strong, A View From The Bridge

Best Actor in a Musical
Adrian der Gregorian, Made In Dagenham
Killian Donnelly, Memphis
Sam Mackay, In The Heights
Jon Robyns, The Last Five Years
Benjamin Scheuer, The Lion
Jeremy Secomb, Sweeney Todd (Tooting Arts Club)

Best Supporting Actress in a Play
Blythe Duff, The James Plays
Phoebe Fox, A View From The Bridge
Vanessa Kirby, A Streetcar Named Desire
Nicola Walker, A View From The Bridge
Liz White, Electra
Lydia Wilson, Charles III

Best Supporting Actress in a Musical
Samantha Bond, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Victoria Hamilton Barritt, In The Heights
Kiara Jay, Sweeney Todd (Tooting Arts Club)
Lara Pulver, Gypsy
Zoe Rainey, The Return of the Soldier
Jenna Russell, Urinetown

Best Supporting Actor in a Play
Joe Caffrey, Wet House
Patrick Godfrey, Donkey Heart
Hans Kesting, Maria Stuart (Toneelgroep Amsterdam)
Julian Ovenden, My Night With Reg
Hugh Skinner, Thérèse Raquin (Theatre Royal Bath)
Geoffrey Streatfeild, My Night With Reg

Best Supporting Actor in a Musical
Damian Buhagiar, In The Heights
Tyrone Huntley, Memphis
Nadim Naaman, Sweeney Todd (Tooting Arts Club)
Jason Pennycooke, Memphis
Jonathan Slinger, Urinetown
Aaron Tveit, Assassins

Results will be announced in the coming days. Now let's dance!


Labels: ,