Audra McDonald Day

As I'm sure you're aware, I'm a contrary fool at times, especially when it comes to people who come pre-loaded with amazing reputations. Audra McDonald was one such performer, so many people raved about her before I even know who she really was that I was sure she couldn't possibly live up to the hype. And with such a mind-set, I saw her concert at the Leicester Square Theatre at the beginning of the year with a great deal more scepticism than was strictly necessary.

I was looking forward to getting the chance to see her perform in a show for the first time when the transfer of Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill was announced, but when the small matter of a pregnancy put the kybosh on that, I decided that I would go on my own personal Audra odyssey by listening to all 5 of her albums and tracking down a televised version of the show to finally make up my own mind.

Safe to say, I'm the newest member of her fan club and I have to eat my words, she really does live up to the hype! So please find reviews of:
Way Back to Paradise (1998)
How Glory Goes (2000)
Happy Songs (2005)
Build A Bridge (2006)
Go Back Home (2013)
and
Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill
and I'll see you at the next fan club meeting ;-)

Labels: